Job Title: Staff Geoscientist
Status: Full time contract (35 hours/week)
Remuneration: $55,000 – $60,000
Job Description: The Staff Earth Scientist’s role is to research and interpret the natural earth heritage of the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark. The Geopark is a dynamic organization that aims to share the stories of our rich geo heritage with the general public, as well as continuing to research our geo heritage for the broader scientific community. The successful candidate will live in Tumbler Ridge.
Job Duties: Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Geoscientist will:
- Develop the Earth Sciences program for the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark
- Undertake scientific research within the Geopark to better understand and share the scientific values of the territory
- Under direction from the Executive Director, take on project specific work (such as a geological field guide) to further the overall program of the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark
- Engage with the public to increase awareness of the Geopark’s natural earth heritage features
- Work with Tumbler Ridge Global Geopark Society members (TRGGS) and public volunteers to deliver programming;
- Reach out to public institutions and groups in Tumbler Ridge (such as the public schools and local community groups) to engage the public in learning about the TRUGG;
- Represent the TRUGG at public events, both within and outside of Tumbler Ridge, aimed at raising awareness of the Geopark either for general public outreach purposes;
Generally assist the Executive Director in the aim of promotion and delivery of the Tumbler Ridge Global Geopark program as needed.
Requirements: This position requires Bachelor of Science degree or higher in a related earth science field such as geology or palaeontology.
The successful candidate will embrace working with the public and engaging on a community level. They will have strong interpersonal skills and work closely with the rest of the Geopark team to deliver the Geopark program on a local, regional and global scale.
Closing date: June 25, 2018
Submit resumes to: Sarah Waters, Executive Director, Tumbler Ridge Global Geopark Society, email@example.com, PO Box 1600, Tumbler Ridge, BC, V0C 2W0