Our Board is a diverse group of professionals from the area who provide the Geopark with it’s direction. We meet monthly at our Headquarters in the Visitor Centre and provide Geopark staff with the support to make the TRUGG an ever evolving part of Tumbler Ridge.
A Geopark where you can celebrate and explore the stories of our people and place
Our mission is to honour the geological, cultural and environmental character of our Geopark, so to enhance well-being of our people through education, engagement and sustainable development.
We’re excited and honoured that as of November 17, 2015 UNESCO has made 120 Global Geoparks (including the TRGG) official UNESCO sites.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Tumbler Ridge Global Geopark Society (TRGGS) is led by a Board of Directors, which evolved from a Steering Committee and Executive, once known as the Tumbler Ridge Aspiring Geopark Society. It is incorporated as a registered not-for-profit society in the province of British Columbia, with its own constitution and bylaws, with scientific advisors in geology, paleontology and archaeology.
Board of Directors:
“Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time, who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done, if we are always doing.”
― Thomas Jefferson
- Stakeholders include, but are not limited to:
- Government of Canada, through our Member of Parliament, Bob Zimmer
- Government of British Columbia through our Member of the Legislative Assembly, Mike Bernier
- Peace River Regional District (regional), District of Tumbler Ridge (municipal)
- North Peace Economic Development Commission, South Peace Economic Development Commission
- BC Parks
- Rec Sites and Trails BC Program (Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations)
- British Columbia Paleontological Alliance
- Community Futures Peace Liard
- Coal mines (Anglo American, HD Mining, Teck Corporation, Conuma Coal)
- Natural Gas (CNRL, Talisman, Spectra etc.)
- Wind Energy (Capital Power, etc.)
- Forestry (West Fraser, Canfor etc.)
- University of Northern British Columbia
- Tumbler Ridge Campus of the Northern Lights College
- School District #59: Tumbler Ridge Secondary School, Tumbler Ridge Elementary School
- Tumbler Ridge Chamber of Commerce
Important Partners of the Geopark include:
- Jet-boat operators, Guide-outfitters, Helicopter outfitters, Snow-show tours, First Nations tours.
- Hotels, B&Bs, Restaurants.
- Representatives from specialized interest groups: (Ice Climbing, Rock Climbing, Canoeing, Kayaking, Cross Country Skiing, Mountain Running, Emperor’s Challenge Mountain Marathon).
- Community Arts and Cultural Groups (Arts Council, Artists, Tumbler Ridge Public Library).
- Community Seniors’ Organizations.
- Local service organizations (Lions Club) and Local media (Tumbler Ridge News).
- Canadian National Committee for Geoparks